Beaujouan, E. and Ni Bhrolchain, M. (2011), Population Trends, No. 145, Autumn 2011, Office for National Statistics: London
Beharrell, P. (1993), 'AIDS and the British press', in Elridge, J. (ed.), Getting the message, London: Routledge
Duncan, S. and Phillips, M. (2008), 'New families: tradition and change in modern relationships', in Park, A., Curtice, J., Thomson, K., Phillips, M., Johnson, M. and Clery, E. (eds.), British Social Attitudes: the 24th Report, London: Sage
Goodman, A. and Greaves, E. (2010), Cohabitation, marriage and child outcomes, London: Institute for Fiscal Studies
Hayton, R. (2010), 'Conservative Party modernization and David Cameron's politics of the family', in Political Quarterly, 81(4): 492-500
Inglehart, R. (1977), The Silent Revolution: Changing Values and Political Styles among Western Publics, Princeton: Princeton University Press
Ipsos Mori (2012), Generations, Ipsos Mori, available at: www.ipsos-mori-generations.com/Assets/Docs/ipsos-mori-the-generation-frame.pdf?utm_source=website&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generationsreport
Jagodzinski, W. and Dobbelaere, K. (1994), 'Secularisation and church religiosity', in van Deth, J. and Scarbrough, E. (eds.), Beliefs in Government Volume Four: The Impact of Values, Oxford: Oxford University Press
Local Government Act 1988, Section 28, London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
Mannheim, K. (1928), Essays in the Sociology of Knowledge, London: RKP
Office for National Statistics (2012a), Marriages in England and Wales, 2010, Newport: Office for National Statistics, available at: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_258307.pdf
Office for National Statistics (2012b), Families and Households, 2012, Newport: Office for National Statistics, available at: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_284823.pdf
Office for National Statistics (2012c), Short report: cohabitation in the UK, 2012, Newport: Office for National Statistics, available at: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_284888.pdf
Surridge, P. (2010), 'The Making of Social Values', in Stillwell, J., Norman, C., Thomas, C. and Surridge, C. (eds.), Spatial and Social Disparities, Springer
Waller, M. (2009), The English marriage; tales of love, money and adultery, London: John Murray
Wellings, K. (1988), 'Perceptions of risk - media treatment of AIDS', in Aggleton, P. and Homans, H. (eds.), Social aspect of AIDS, London: Falmer Press
- Download chapter
- BBC news, 17th February 2001, available at: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1175753.stm.
- It is possible that the expansion of higher education will affect the relationship between degree-level education and social values, especially if the main mechanism by which education affects attitudes is socialisation (rather than cognitive development). So as a wider cross-section of young people attend university, the distinctive nature of their values is diluted.
- Bases for Table 1.4 are as follows:
- Bases for Table 1.5 are as follows:
- In summary, there has been a considerable rise since 1983 in the proportion who identify with no political party whatsoever, up from eight per cent in 1983 to 21 per cent now. The proportion of Conservative identifiers has shrunk (from 39 to 27 per cent) and the proportion of Labour identifiers has remained broadly constant (33 and 36 per cent in 1983 and 2012 respectively). In 1983, 15 per cent of people identified with the Liberal/SDP Alliance, compared with six per cent in 2012 identifying with the Liberal Democrats. Further details can be found in the Politics chapter.
- Bases for Table 1.6 are as follows:
- Speech by Margaret Thatcher to the Conservative Party Conference, 1987, 9th October, available at: www.margaretthatcher.org/document/106941.
- See, for example, the ILGA Europe review of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and intersex people in Europe, available at: www.ilga-europe.org/home/news/for_media/media_releases/not_la_vie_en_rose_the_most_comprehensive_overview_of_the_lgbti_people_rights_and_lives_in_europe_2013.
- Bases for Table 1.8 are as follows:
- The Guardian Datablog, 7th October 2012, available at: www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales.
- Related links